Tuesday, December 7, 2010

"Holiday Madness" is catching

So this is my first real blog post since my little unplanned break. And I shall be delving into what I call “Holiday-Madness”

What causes people to change their basic personality during the holiday season? (Thanksgiving-Christmas time)

I am astounded every year at the changes I see in people in this time. Some become ultra sweet, very caring and giving. And others go mad!

Crazy people in Wal-Mart fighting over the latest toy (when there are plenty of toys on the shelf) or the last bag of sugar for baking. Like there will never be another bag of sugar ever! Its just amazing how much people change. And I blame a lot of this on the stores. Big box stores like Wal-Mart under-stocking shelves to make it seem like things are in demand to make people think they should get it now, before its gone. Its not right to exploit what should be a caring and giving time of year simply for profit. Granted every time of the year should be a time of year for caring and giving. But this time of year is even more so.

The Holiday-Madness continues though. People rushing stores to get the “latest” what ever and crushing people in a stampede. And I feel bad for the people that die and get hurt in these stampedes. But the problem is, if it wasn't them who had fallen they would have trampled some one the same way they where. I feel bad for them. Not because they died or got injured in the rush. But because they fell prey to the Holiday-Madness in the first place. Because they are weak minded enough to think that the latest kitchen gadget or toy is worth risking their life. Or killing another.

In 2008 a temporary Wal-Mart employee was trampled to death in the rush of people.[1] This is a person just looking to make a little extra money. Probably to buy Christmas presents. And was rewarded with death because of the mindless rush of people.

This isn't how a refined society should be behaving! We humans like to think we aren't subject to animalistic behavior, but if we aren't then why are things like this happening?

I mean this is such a problem that OSHA is recommending that police and/or security guards be on stand by. As well as barricading and roping off the store. And a dozen other steps to deal with these people.[2]... I just want to buy my socks!


Those are my thoughts. Please comment and let me know yours!



















[2]http://osha.gov/OshDoc/data_General_Facts/Crowd_Control.html

No comments:

Post a Comment